Monday, March 2, 2009

Why?

This evening as I tried unconvincingly to persuade the three-year-old to put on his coat, he repeatedly asked me his new favorite question:

"Why?"

I answered him a few times, but when the line of questioning began to circle back on itself, I ended it by saying, "I'm not going to answer that. You just need to put on your coat."

As I pondered the situation and thought about how I will answer our own child, it occurred to me that it's all about need-to-know. Understanding was not required. Obedience was.

Sometimes that is all that God requires of us. He has His plans and reasons, but like the three-year-old our understanding is limited and unrequired. Ours is to obey and trust that His purpose is good.

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

Second to the "why" question for toddlers comes the "I do it myself" demand... also an equally profound thing to ponder through God's eyes.

~thanks for sharing