Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Different Perspective

The Broken TreeTwo completely different ideas today. Same theme.

First, the photo above shows the same tree as the one I used for Jed's photo shoot, just from a different perspective. I tried repeatedly to get the contrast set up just right using a series of filters on my computer, but my software was acting buggy. It showed me one thing on-screen, then saved it a different way entirely. This is as close as I could get to what I really wanted.

Second, I prayed a dangerous prayer this morning, asking God to help me learn what it means to love my enemies. (In truth, it was more like, "Please teach me this without having to practice it at all. A theoretical knowledge should suffice. Thanks.") On my way to work I began to meditate on Romans 12:14, which says, "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."

As I thought about the nature of blessing and cursing, it occurred to me that each is two-fold. To bless someone, I can do kind things for them and I can ask God to do kind things for them. Likewise, to curse someone I can do unkind things to them and I can ask God to do unkind things to them. To love my enemies and to bless them, a good starting point may be to look at them from God's perspective and simply ask Him to be kind to them, leading them toward himself. Having prayed that, I shouldn't be surprised at all if and when he tells me to be the one to act kindly toward them. The combination of asking for God's kindness and then showing kindness to my enemies is frightening and intimidating, but that's His way. In light of Easter, I can begin to see the way His love is revealed when God acts kindly toward His enemies.

1 comment:

drh said...

Good picture. Good post. Good perspective.

Thanks for sharing.