Monday, May 26, 2008

Who?

For the second year in a row, Allie and I had tickets to the Cubs game for Memorial Day. The Cubs won 3-1 over the Los Angeles Dodgers, led by 7 good innings from pitcher Ryan Dempster and home runs by first baseman Derrek Lee and third baseman Aramis Ramirez.

The real highlight of the game, however, came during the top of the eighth inning with the opposing team up to bat. The starting second baseman, Jeff Kent, lead off with a single. The Dodgers manager then substituted in pinch-runner Chin-lung Hu.

Judging by the lack of uproarious laughter at Wrigley, I think only the PA announcer and I got the joke.

2 comments:

drh said...

Did the PA announcer laugh?

Live In Contrast said...

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure that the PA announcer got it. He didn't laugh, maybe out of professionalism, but instead of introducing him in the usual way, ("Hu, pinch-running for Kent"), he simply stated "Hu's on first." I want to believe he did that on purpose. I also feel obligated to point out that I took notice of the peculiarity of the situation as the pinch-runner was taking the field, before the announcer said anything.