Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Coming soon to a blog near you

About four years ago, I was but a lowly supervisor (read: only employee) for a coffee shop in Evanston. During the summer months, I would routinely have half an hour between serving customers. Realizing that I could only wash the tables and clean the espresso machine so many times, I took it upon myself to keep a book and notepad on-hand to pass the time.

One afternoon, alone with my thoughts, I began to meditate on the way that God often parallels the spiritual world, which we cannot see, with things in the physical world, which we can readily observe. Jesus himself often taught in parables so that his disciples and followers could learn truths about His kingdom from the things with which they were already familiar. Scripture is still the best source for knowledge of God, but I believe that in His creativity He ordered the world in a way that we could also learn about Him and the spiritual realm.

I filled the front and back of a sheet of paper with thoughts about the parallels between birth, growth and maturity in the physical and spiritual realms. Jesus spoke of being "born" again. Several authors in the New Testament exhort believers to become "mature." From what I observed, every major stage of human development can also convey some lesson in our spiritual growth. In the weeks that come, I plan to explore this subject in depth.

No comments: