Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Knocking on Heaven's Door

Most of you, my loyal readers, will remember the previous trouble I have had with the United States Postal Service. Today, I had a couple of much more pleasant encounters with them.

This morning, I went to the post office to apply for a US Passport. Having completed my taxes about two months ago, the fact that today was April 15 meant nothing to me until I arrived at the building at 9:00am. The line was not yet out the door, but was still 15 people long despite having four stations open. Fortunately for me, the passport window was at the opposite end of the building with no line. I slinked past all of the frustrated customers and stood patiently until one of the employees came over to help me, well ahead of many of the other customers. It felt very Calvinist, seeing the powers that be choose to extend grace to me while others suffered. I had my picture taken, filled out a few forms, paid my fees, and left before most of the people in line had even moved.

My other pleasant encounter has come with some of the "humorous" mail I have been receiving at home. I thought I'd hit the jackpot last week when we received a generic mailer from Red Man addressed to the "Adult Smokeless Tobacco User" in our household. I thought maybe I'd send that one back with a note saying that he doesn't live here. I couldn't do that with today's mail, however. It's addressee?

"Jesus (or Current Resident)."

1 comment:

drh said...

So if that first piece of mail had said “Adult Smokeless Tobacco User (or Current Resident)” you’d have had to keep it, too?

(smile)