Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The audacity

On my drive to work this morning, I followed a Mercedes SUV with a simple bumper sticker that read, "Got Hope?"

Initially, I believed that this person was advertising their faith, reminiscent of the old "Got Milk?" marketing campaign. I usually try not to respond to bumper stickers, but my heart warmed at the thought of seeing another believer subtly voicing their faith in a meaningful way.

Then I read the fine print.

The bumper sticker was not intended to inspire thoughts of God, but of a presidential candidate. I felt deeply wounded and shaken, then... sorrowful. Political leaders are usually fallible. Hope, here, is misplaced. The best (or worst) president only holds power for eight years, usually with their hands tied by opposing parties, lobbies, and campaigns for reelection. Public opinion can turn in an instant when our expectations go unfulfilled, and hope is left unsatisfied.

Is there any wonder why Jesus resisted being made king by force? He was bringing about the one thing that was truly worth hoping for, and couldn't be swept off course for man's own purposes and definitions.

Real hope is only found in him, the true hope of all nations.

No comments: