Monday, November 19, 2007

Moment of Clarity

I've been looking for an "all-purpose" zoom lens for my camera, but finding the right lens is more difficult than it sounds. Pentax has manufactured hundreds of lenses in 14 different styles, all of which are compatible with my camera. Many third-party manufacturers have done the same. In some cases, the "same" lens will even be manufactured at several factories, each producing different results. How am I supposed to choose with such variety in style and quality?

Given this daunting task, I've located half a dozen databases where professionals and consumers alike have reviewed many of these lenses. They are rated on every aspect imaginable, from focal length and aperture settings to the Modular Transfer Function and "Bokeh" characteristics. (Don't ask. It's even more boring than it sounds.) In the end, it almost all comes down to the glass. The best lenses have perfect glass that allows the light to pass through clearly every time. Lower-quality lenses will subtly distort, exaggerate, or color the image. They will produce a picture, but it won't be as sharp or clear as the original object.

I wrote in my profile that "My goal is to be a lens that God focuses on people, places, things... all of creation... in order to see them the way He does." In light of all of this research on lenses, I realized that I need to ask myself the question, "What kind of a lens am I?"

How clearly do I allow the Light to pass through?

What kind of distortions do I add to His image?

Do I perform the same under all conditions?

How is my focus?

3 comments:

drh said...

I think this might be the best picture you’ve presented – and there’s no photograph involved.

What does that do for you?

Live In Contrast said...

That does a lot towards keeping me honest with my writing and photograpy. I think's that's why I had to write it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a picture perfect illustration. That's the type of image we all need to zoom in on. Way to focus!