Monday, January 7, 2008

A day unlike any other

One day each year, and only one day, I root for Ohio State.

Tonight is Ohio State's annual trip to a bowl game. *Sadly*, three out of the last five years this event has been the BCS National Championship game (2003, 2007, and 2008). I have to keep reminding myself that what's good for Ohio State on the national stage is good for the Big Ten, so, "[Sigh] Go Bucks."

Having grown up in Ohio, many people naturally assume that I grew up as an Ohio State fan. Short of reminding those people what happens when you assume, I've come up with the short list of reasons that I am NOT an Ohio State fan, except in January.

1. My parents and extended family are from Michigan. I may have been born in Ohio, but my roots are in Wolverine country.

2. The John Cooper era. During my formative years, John Copper was 2-8-1 against Michigan, making it much easier to root against Ohio State than for them in the big game.

3. I attended Northwestern University.

4. Over the last three years, Ohio State has outscored Northwestern 160 to 24.

5. Ohio State has a completely unrespectable mascot. "Look out! It's a... Buckeye?"

6. Nothing fails to inspire confidence in an academic institution like emphasis of a definite article. "THE" Ohio State University. Players on athletic scholarship must be able to correctly spell it before graduating or entering the NFL draft.

7. Seriously... a Buckeye? I hate to say it, but even Wisconsin wins in this department.

I wish Jim Tressel and company the best of luck tonight. More than that, I hope that they show up to play instead of falling flat on their face like they did last year. Please, Ohio State, bring one home for the Big Ten.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was rooting for the same thing.....felt sick and wrong.

I thought Tressel was a big game coach......

At least U of M put on a show for the SEC crowd. Who needs a running quarterback when your pocket passer has a cannon for a right arm?

Live In Contrast said...

Let's just hope we can root for them in a lesser game next year. Maybe the Outback Bowl?

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the "Puffs Plus BabySoft Tissue Bowl"

Live In Contrast said...

LOL!

drh said...

At the mere sight of the words “Ohio State,” I had to shy away from reading this post for a few days. This is not, however, because I don’t share your sentiments about Ohio State – for I do – but rather because I live in North Africa.

I religiously avoided ESPN.com this week. At one point, I thought I had caught wind of a spoiler from a student here. Sadly, the spoiler I thought I heard was that Ohio State had won.

Tonight, after several days of waiting, the game had finally been made available on the Internet, and I watched the game in its entirety. When Ohio State jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, I was tempted not to watch the rest of the game. However, when LSU scored 24 unanswered points before halftime, I knew it would get interesting.

Thinking that Ohio State would eventually come from behind, I kept watching, but in vain. They didn’t.

When I was in Ohio in December, I saw a T-shirt that read, “Go Ohio State! Beat LSU. That way Les Miles will know what it’s like to coach for Michigan!”

At least Michigan won one for the Big Ten this bowl season.

And by the way, that’s “THE” definite article.