Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Better late than never, I guess

Some of you may remember my recent open letter, describing how the US Mail managed to lose two different gifts. In a bizarre and truly unexpected twist, BOTH of them were delivered on December 31 to their respective destinations. My mom ended up signing for her tickets more than two weeks after the concert and I just took possession of my wife's DVD after it made its way through our building's mail system. I'm glad that both eventually arrived, but I have learned a couple of things:

1. If something gets lost in the mail, make as much noise as you possibly can. My packages were missing for three weeks and then magically reappeared in the system less than three days after I started emailing the post office regarding their disappearance. I have little doubt that if I hadn't said something, my packages would have been "lost" forever.

2. FedEx everything anyway. I sent a package to my sister in Pennsylvania at 5pm the Thursday before Christmas. I shipped it using FedEx Ground, their cheapest option, since "timely" delivery didn't matter as much to me as delivery itself. It arrived that Saturday, about 36 hours later, with three days to spare BEFORE Christmas.

On a much lighter note, Allie and I had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's with our families and friends. We enjoyed seeing the Hoskinsons, Griffins, Grahams, Millers, and Beavers. Whether we'd been planning it the whole year or just at the last minute, we had a great deal of fun with all of you, and we look forward to seeing you and those we missed as soon as we can.

No comments: