Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Some Time Passes

Very little has happened since my last entry, except that college football has ended and the NFL playoffs have begun. With all of the teams that I care about eliminated, I will probably end up watching the Super Bowl for the commercials, like most years, laughing at a few and making sure that I know all of the new slogans and catch phrases when people in the office start quoting them in the days that follow.

It occured to me that today is only the 11th day out of the last 26 that I have worked, thanks to a combination of holidays, vacation days, and sick days going back to December. Tomorrow will be the first time since the week before Christmas that I have been in the office on four consecutive days. I know it's only been two weeks since New Year's, but that already feels like a long time ago.

Allie and I had a discussion a couple of nights ago about why anyone would buy books today when our library has such a good selection. We came up with three reasons, and the first one doesn't really count:

1. The book is a classic and it looks good to have on your shelf.
2. The book is one you plan on revisiting several times.
3. It's a book you plan on loaning to friends.

On the right-hand side of my blog, I've added a short list of books that I have enjoyed reading or plan to read soon. I realize I may not be breaking any new ground with C.S. Lewis and a couple of children's books, but they're all good if you can pick up a copy at your library. I'd buy all of them.

No comments: